Trees have been cultured in Opheusden for centuries, and the resultant expertise has been transferred from father to son just as long. Around 1650, there were already several dozen tree nurseries in Opheusden. At the beginning of the 19th century this number grew to around sixty. In 1853, the growers in Opheusden began exporting their products for the first time to Germany, eastern Europe, southern Europe, America and Canada. Around that time the product range comprised mainly of cherries, apples, pears, nuts, poplars, elm and alders. During those years the tree nurseries quickly expanded. In 1890, the nurseries covered approximately 57 hectares.